My Honeybees

Backyard Beekeeping

Hive Inspection 3/25/12

Leave a comment

I completely took the hive a part today.

The bottom box was a mess.All the frames in the bottom box were covered in dead bees except one path that they were using for getting in and out through. I left the reducer on all winter and it resulted in poor air circulation and the bees could not get the dead ones out. So the dead bees started to pile up in the bottom box. The bottom board was covered in dead bees front to back and up the frames. It was horrible to see. All of the frames in the bottom box were empty,  no honey, just empty frames of comb and dead bees. I cleaned out the bottom box completely and let it sit in the sun, while I cleaned up the frames. 

The second deep had 3 full frames of honey and lots of live bees, but no sign of brood. The supers still had honey in the frames. The mold I had noticed before on the underside of the lid was gone. So it looked like the using the pennies as spacers worked to increase ventilation. 

Now that the bottom board is cleaned and the reducer is gone, the hive should have lots of ventilation. The bees should be able to clean up the rest of the hive and remove the small amounts of mold left. 

I thought I saw the queen but I wasn’t sure if it was the one I put in there last year. The dot on her back was gone. 

 

The temp was 63 degrees.

 

ImageImageImageImage

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s